All posts by Chobbers

Android stuck in Bluetooth boot loop

I got used to my Touchpad tablet being so stable and reliable that I was taken aback one day when I turned the Bluetooth on it immediately rebooted,  and rebooted and…..

Yes, the dreaded boot loop had hit my trusty Touchpad.  The Cyanogenmod 9 install had worked (almost) flawlessly for several years. The bluetooth worked well but I never kept it turned on.

I couldn’t believe that Android became useless because of one area of corruption.  I have ClockWorkMod recovery installed but my last backup was a little old.  I tried clearing the cache, then the Dalvik cache but neither made any difference.

I wanted to use Safe mode but I don’t think CM9 has one.  I could still boot into WebOS but it has no way to access the root of CM9.  So I thought ADB would be the way forward.  I wanted to erase the /data/misc/bluetoothd path contents, but CWM v5 doesn’t give you ADB access.

So I eventually entered the world of Edify, the Android updater script. I found it a struggle to understand but came across the “Android Script Creator” for Windows and I was able to create a script that deleted the contents of /data/misc/bluetoothd.

I have made this fix available if anyone finds themselves in this predicament.

  1. Boot into CWM recovery and connect a USB cable to your PC.
  2. Select mount USB storage in CWM, PC sees it as a drive.
  3. Copy to the Android SD.
  4. Select ‘install zip from sdcard‘ and browse to

[downbyid id=’102′  label=’BTreset’ ]

Halogen Oven Woes

Great aren’t they, these halogen ovens. You buy one because its cheap and before you know it your using it for all sorts of things.


Then the bulb blows

Ok, not so bad, £15 or so on sethe-bay, but to fit it you have to literally disassemble it. But when its in, it works!

Then it keeps tripping the power

After replacing the bulb I thought that would be it for another 12 months but no, after a couple of weeks it started tripping the house mains power.

Took it apart, thought it was my wiring couldn’t see anything wrong. Wrapped another layer of electrical insulation round the wires put it back together, it worked.

Three weeks later it started shorting out again, aaaarrggh.  Now I’m losing patience with it.  I leave it sitting in the corner of the kitchen sulking, or maybe I was sulking.

Eventually when I was in a better mood I put my voltmeter across the live and earth terminal on the mains plug and yes, it was shorting. Took it apart AGAIN.  I kept the meter on the plug and as I was disassembling the oven it would be shorting then not.  Something like a bare cable I thought was touching the metal bodywork.  But inspecting the cables nothing was amiss.

Thermostat is the Problem

Took the leads of the thermostat and the problem was gone. Hmmm.  I put the voltmeter directly on the thermostat and yes the mains connectors were shorting with the earth side.  Nothing to take apart so I gave it a good soaking with Cillit Bang to degrease it. Hour later dried it off and the short was gone!